Saturday, November 1, 2014

2014 Halloween Fallout!


November 1st, 2014. We only have 363 days left until next years Halloween! Time to get working because somehow I am already behind despite the fact that last years decorations are still setup!

Alright, so maybe it is not quite that bad. But for us real Halloween fanatics that previous statement is not to far off from the truth. The quest for Halloween 2015 will begin sooner rather than later, it always does.

But for the time being... I actually feel fine with putting the final nails on the coffin and burying the remains of Halloween 2014, which by all accounts was as successful of a season as one could hope for.

Even though I didn't write nearly as much as I would have hoped, I feel like quality articles were produced. The only change that I plan on making is perhaps a shift away from all the 'current jazz' that is for sale and write more 'from the heart' nostalgic pieces.

Finding a balance between those two seems like a good goal to set for next years Halloween Countdown. I love writing about the crazy stuff that gets released this time of year but.... sometimes not everything with pumpkins and bats on the label is inspiring enough to dedicate seventeen pictures and a couple thousand words too.


I had a really good turnout for my outdoor yard haunt. Even though the temperatures took a sudden dip a few days ago and it was really quite chilly, lots of kids showed up.

One of the big takeaways for me personally is how the kids showing up for residential Trick or Treating are now starting to sque older than what I've had traditionally show up. I think this is in part because the town I live in has pushed time start time way back to make room for the commercial Trick or Treating that takes place downtown and this was the first year they ran one of those dumb Trunk or Treat events (people gather in a parking lot and give kids candy from the trunk of there car. It is as dumb and sketchy as it sounds)

I am perfectly fine with older kids showing up. That gives me an excuse to go more for the "jump scare" next year and legitimately frighten some kids. Anyone have access to a chainsaw?


Aliens. Who knew that a couple inflatable aliens that I picked up on an absolute whim would be the star of the show... but they were. Everyone loved the aliens. It is crazy, I try to pack a lot of little details into my display. If you look hard enough you'll find everyone from Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger, and Chucky hanging out in there. As well as lots of other little sight gags and nods to various horror movies.

But it was all about those aliens! The cheapest and least realistic looking thing in the display was what everyone kept commenting on. I learned a long time ago that people are going to like what people are going to like and not necessarily what I spent the most time building.

Therefore, aliens. Since everyone liked them so much I've already started making plans for a crashed space ship scene for next years display. If people want aliens.... I will give them aliens!

Halloween 2014 was a good season. It was memorable. I don't know if it was quite as epic as some of the previous years but still a lot of fun regardless. Since Halloween landed on a Friday this year I am perfectly alright with stretching the celebration out through the weekend. HalloWeekend if you will.

I plan on enjoying a few more monster movies and late nights with glowing pumpkins off in the distance. I suggest you all do the same. By the time Monday arrives everything will be covered in Christmas lights and Santa.

And you know what I am alright with that too.

Thanks for being part of the 2014 Halloween Countdown. The 2014 Christmas Season begins on Monday. So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment