Friday, October 10, 2014

2014 Halloween Oreos!

One of the main pillars of the Halloween Season is Nabisco's Halloween Oreos. I could not imagine an October going by without purchasing a bag. It is a tradition that goes all the way back to my childhood.

These days Nabisco makes headlines with all sorts of whacky Oreo flavors. Cliff over at The Holidaze has already covered the new 2014 editions, so be sure to check out his work on Caramel Apple and Pumpkin Spice Oreos respectively to get caught up on this seasons hot new flavors.

I am much more of a traditionalist. I get what they are trying to accomplish with Oreos that taste like Apples and Pumpkins but my blackened heart will always lay with the orange frosted originals.

Click for Larger Image!
Halloween Oreos have once again returned for the 2014 Halloween Season and this year they sport an entirely new package design as well as five brand new spooky shapes imprinted on the top of each cookie.

It has been a few years since Halloween Oreos have had an updated design. For the past few seasons they have been stuck with this witch's cauldron look that I was never really to found of.

I am, however, quite pleased with this years package. It is simple design but more times than not it is the simple ones that are the most effective. Something about it just screams "throwback" even if that isn't exactly what they had in mind.

Just looking at it reminds me of 1993 and those October trips to a pharmacy now long gone in which I used to purchase (or convince my parents to purchase!) whatever Halloween items they had for sale.

Click for Larger Image!
Starting from the top left hand corner the new shapes for this year include a skull, haunted castle, pumpkin, generic trick or treat, and a bat. I kind of feel like everyone takes these shapes for granted, but other than the orange frosting... secretly they are probably the best part of Halloween Oreos.

The generic trick or treat cookie is probably the weakest link of the bunch, though the rest are all home run hits. I really want to dip them in an ink pad and see how well they work as stamps. But I don't want to waste the cookies!

Anyway Halloween Oreos are probably the oldest of the seasonal products and a lot of my fellow bloggers only give them a passing mention or ignore them entirely at this point.

I get that. We all want to break new ground instead of rehashing over the same subjects each and every year. But in the case of Halloween Oreos... I have to make an exception. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen then, ate them, studied and photographed them... they are still my absolute favorite item of the Halloween Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment