Saturday, July 12, 2014

Some Scary Cool Purchases!

Well now that we've made it past the 4th of July, which I've long since touted as the last "big" obstacle standing in the way of the summer months and that strange invisible barrier that dictates when Halloween can officially begin.

Now that we are past that point I feel much more confident in my ability to write about how freaking excited I am for the fall season to finally arrive!

It's even unintentionally crept its way into my shopping cart. Without fully realizing it everything that I purchased the other day looks completely at home in the month of October. Let's take a closer look at this weeks spooky haul: 

Click for Larger Image!
I have to start with my favorite item first, Time Life: Mysteries of the Unknown. A 93 page magazine dedicated to everything from Ouija Boards to the legend of Bigfoot. I don't think  I have ever loved a magazine more than this.

This is exactly the kind of reading material that I gravitated towards as a kid. Story time, I remember my grandparents having some really old blue book, the dusty old kind with torn up bindings and frail pages.

It was a science fiction book filled with a bunch of "what if" scenarios for what life on other planets might be like. As interesting as the text was the best part of it was the pictures.

They looked like hand drawn oil paintings that had been resized and, I dunno shrunk down to book size through the use of black magic. These pictures were flat out amazing, featuring bright colors with neon landscapes and all kinds of badass monsters.

Think Lovecraftian style artwork. This was that book. And I remember every day during summer vacation (which I spent at my grandparents) I would read through and thumb through that book. Completely amazed by the drawing and fantastical text.

None of that really has anything to do with Time Life's Mysteries of the Unknown but I can guarantee you that had I owned a magazine like this back then, I would have spent all summer long going through its pages. Taking each and every work as gospel.

If it said ghosts existed then damnit, they would be real. I love this magazine. I love the idea of this magazine. I have no idea how it got published but I am so very thankful that it did and I found it.

Click for Larger Image!
Next up is some cheap novels. I am almost exclusively a Kindle user these days but every now and then I dig through those big dump bills full of stupid books nobody has ever heard of and pull out something interesting. For a combined total of five dollars I found two that I absolutely could not live without.

The Haunting of America: From the Salem Witch Trails to Harry Houdini. Pretty much has everything that I love covered. I don't know if this book is historical fiction, actual fiction, or pure bullshit. My guess is going to be a combination of all three. I am looking forward to diving headfirst into this one and plowing through its contents in a couple days.

I am not going to lie, I purchased The Monster's Corner for the cover. Even if I never read it (which is a very distinct possibility) it'll look great sitting on a shelf someplace and be worth at least looking at when the leaves finally start to change and the temperatures drop.

Click for Larger Image!
Finally, this Blu-Ray full of horror films nobody has ever heard of. Four dumb horror films for only $1.00. Duh, count me in. If my math serves me correctly that is .25 cents per flick. Meaning I could have theoretically payed for this disc with leftover change from the ashtray in my car.

Films like these are basically filler material. Background noise, if you will. When I write I love to stick something on in the background and turn the volume down just low enough that it can be heard, but not high enough to be distracting.

This collection is perfect for that. Goofy, probably dumb horror films that even if I only half pay attention to... will probably end up enjoying more than if I attempted to watch properly.

I think I made out pretty well for the week. All of it seems like a decent unofficial start to the Halloween Season, and with the prospect of another polar vortex creeping its way into my part of the country early next week... I'm sure I'll be in the Halloween mood much sooner than normal this time of year.

Stay spooky my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment