Saturday, April 12, 2014

How I Found Christmas (& Halloween!) Candy in April!

In case you've not noticed it the holidays never really seem to end here at The Astro Lounge. That is because no matter the time of year my heart is never to far removed from them.

So while I was out shopping the other day, not only did I end up with three Hotwheels DeLorean DMC-12 cars I also managed to grab ahold five Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Chocolate Bars and a few odds and ends Halloween decorations somehow still for sale out in the wild.

As I mentioned in yesterdays post, when I am out and about I always like looking for leftover pieces of holiday material. I have a working theory that at any given time, you can always find something seasonal for sale.

So with this theory in mind I set out to see what I could find. And while most stores came up short I was able to snag a couple fun items in two of the most unlikely places.

Wal-Mart and Target!

The "big two" of retail and the two establishments that are generally the least likely of places to find out of season goods. Nine times out of ten if you want a little slice of Halloween or Christmas when its neither of those seasons, you track down some old ragtag pharmacy or Mom & Pop store that's tucked way off the beaten path.

2014 Halloween Candy!
Click for Larger Image!
So clearly lady luck was on my side when I unearthed this package of Vanilla Yogurt Raisins from Targets hallowed grounds. Raisins straight out of October and sporting Halloweens unholy colors.

Moderately festive looking raisins are not something that I generally would give two shits about, Halloween package or not. If this was the proper time of year I doubt I'd even cover them. Not with all the other sights and sounds of the season vying for my attention.

But right here and right now... with nothing else currently on the market sporting PUMPKINS and GHOSTS, this is like something straight out of another world. A strange alternative universe in which it is Halloween year round and raisins are always sold in packages featuring The Great Pumpkin.

Good grief do I ever wish I could vacation in that destination all summer long!

Glade Pumpkin Spice Candle!
Click for Larger Image!
Off over in Wal-Mart I was able to find even more Halloween decorations. Not quite as fantastic as pumpkin decorated raisins but snagging this Halloween Wall Banner for .25 cents seemed like a good enough deal. Even if I have no specific use for it in mind.

I also found this Glade Pumpkin Spice candle tucked away in the clearance section. I can already envision late summer nights spent burning this one with Friday the 13th: The Series playing off in the background, setting the mood while I hammer out the details of this years Halloween Countdown!

2014 Christmas Candy!
Click for Larger Image!
Here they are! The reason why I started this entire adventure in the first place, Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Chocolate! For reasons that I cannot really explain I was suddenly hit with the urge for some peppermint chocolate.

The problem of course being late March early April is not the greatest of time to track down something predominantly sold only during the winter months.

So I hit, no exaggeration, seven different stores before finally finding some tucked away in a 'sort of clearance' section of food products at Wal-Mart.

To say I used up every single trick that I've learned over the years for finding out of season goods is a bit of an understatement. Because not only did I do that, I took towards social media and flat out asked if anyone had seen some for sale recently (all the more reason why you should follow me on Twitter @AstroLounge101)

And now I feel set to start making it through the early push of the 2014 Summer Season. I'll still keep up the sporadic hunt for The Holidays throughout the year... and just when that well of goods is seemingly dry, I've no doubt that the holiday gods of retail will usher in something festive an new earlier than ever this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment