Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lay's Chicken & Waffle Flavored Chips!

Click for Larger Image!
Despite the thirty degree, raining and still sometimes snowy weather that is occupying most of the Midwest... summer is in fact coming. Eventually. I know this because the Summer Season is the only time of year in which something as outrageous as Lay's Chicken & Waffle Flavored Chips could ever hit the market.

Take that Santa Claus!

For reasons that I cannot possibly fathom these potato chips exist. And while not particularly good... this is totally one of those things that you absolutely must track down and try for yourself.

Strangely reminiscent of those old Jones Soda Holiday Packs, you know the ones that sold bottles of soda flavored like Mashed Potatoes and Green Bean Casserole. It's basically that exact same concept, applied to chip form.

Click for Larger Image!
I do not buy into the notion that any of the brain-trust at Lay's actually believe this is legitimately a good idea. Chicken & Waffle chips exist simply because they can and because they are are so friggin' strange of a concept that you basically have to purchase a bag.

Each chip has this strange sort of sickly color to them. Darker and blotchier than you'd expect with far more crunch than I typically associate with Lay's. This combination almost reminds me of leaving a bowl of traditional potato chips out to fester in the sun for twelve hours on a hot, humid picnic in July.

And the smell is something else entirely, too. It's maple syrup... but not really. I don't even begin to know how to properly describe what they smell like but I'd imagine if you gave a gigantic super computer all the ingredients to make up "maple syrup" and told it to come up with a flavor, this would be the end result.

It has this weird artificial quality to it that is so tough to pinpoint. And I don't know where exactly the chicken flavor fits into this equation but I've no doubt that occasionally while eating them, you stumble into a bit of chip that tastes like chicken.

Or some sort of artificial chicken substitute covered in artificial maple syrup.

And yet they are strangely munchable. I've had them sitting on a plate next to me this entire time and despite the fact that I don't need to eat all of them... I keep tossing one down every so often.

Lay's Chicken & Waffle Flavored Chips defy all logic. They look weird. Taste pretty bad. And are not something I ever want to eat again, but I still highly recommend tracking a bag down and experiencing this bizarre concoction for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment