Friday, September 20, 2013

Pumpkin Spice M&Ms + Bewitching Tic Tac's!



A few days ago I made a trip to Target to scout out the Halloween Section and was honestly surprised to see that for the most part it was still Back to School Central.

This bummed me out. The Halloween Season seemed like it was poised to come earlier than ever this year and then all of a sudden... it's like everything got put on hold. Perhaps its because we've known about what General Mill's has up its sleeves for a few weeks now, and the anticipation of that event makes everything else seem a little less exciting.

Whatever the case may be... by most accounts every major retailer is slacking off so far this season. My local Target didn't have anything in the way of props or costumes yet but what they did have was a 'work in progress' selection of different candies and beverages.

This was good enough for me. The older I get the more I've come to terms with the fact that 90% of the decorations sold around Halloween-time are overpriced and kind of crappy. You get that sense of instant gratification walking down the isles, looking at $80 severed heads and $20 tombstones. But the real fun comes with the strange limited edition flavors, sights, and sounds, released this time of year.

If you are looking for Candy Corn Oreo's ... those have returned in full force for 2013. Ghoul-Aid has also made a comeback for the 3rd season now. Each was a heavy hitter from a previous season. Each ready and willing to delight new customers this Halloween Season.

Bewitching Tic Tac's!
Click for Larger Image!
2013 has some big surprises in store. And while I'm not sure if Tic Tac's and M&M's can compete on the same size or scale with some of the other stuff I picked up at Target... they are each worthy of written tribute in their own spooky little way.

Pumpkin Spice M&M's are an exclusive to Target for the 2013 season. I know because I spotted this half falling over sign that told me so. It makes me wonder if Wal-Mart will have an exclusive flavor of M&M or if this promotion is yet another thing that's been limited to just Target.

Regardless, I can say without a shadow of doubt that Pumpkin Spice M&M's are hands down the most horrific thing I have ever ate. And I don't mean that in some sort of ironic way for the Halloween Season. These suckers are down right horrible. 

Pumpkin Spice M&M's taste exactly like eating a Glade Scented Candle. They are bad, bad, bad. Even for a limited edition seasonal item, they are all kinds of awful. Words almost cannot describe the experience.

Avoid Pumpkin Spice M&M's at all costs! Unless the idea of taking a big ol' bite out of the side of a candle sounds intriguing to you, then by all means go out and purchase a bag. Everyone else... just avoid them!

Bewitching Tic Tac's!
Click for Larger Image!
On the flip side we have Bewitching Tic Tac's. Out of all the companies to get down with the devil for Halloween it never really crossed my mind that Tic Tac's would eventually dress themselves in purple and black and go all Wiccan for the season.

I've literally no idea what the market for Halloween themed Tic Tac's are... but am I ever happy that they exist. It's like a little portable version of Halloween that I can carry around in my pocket and eat whenever I need a seasonal pick-me-up.

Or at least it could have been had I not dumped mine into a bowl full of Pumpkin Spice M&M's for that photograph up above. In terms of decisions that I almost immediately regret, that one ranks in my top two or three.

Because it turns out Bewitching Tic Tac's are really quite good. The flavors consist of orange and apple, which really have nothing to do with the Halloween Season but after the debacle that was Pumpkin Spice M&M's I'm perfectly fine settling for something that tastes good as opposed to something horrible wrapped in a seasonal disguise.

At the end of the day Bewitching Tic Tac's are not the biggest nor the best item of the 2013 Halloween Season ... heck I don't even know if they are new for this year or not. But what they are is clearly the most sincere Halloween item you are likely to find.

They exist because they can and not because they should. And for that I hold them in the highest regard! Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go throw up those Pumpkin Spice M&M's that I just ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment