Friday, October 19, 2012

Halloween Color Blanks!


Rose Art Color Blanks turned out to be the 'shot in the arm' that I needed to re-energize my Halloween spirit. I've been sitting on these for weeks and purposely saved them for close to the end of the 2012 Halloween Countdown for that very reason.

It looks like my plan worked perfectly, because after spending a couple hours coloring these guys I really do feel extra motivated to celebrate Halloween 2012 to its fullest potential.

Click for Larger Image!
My first introduction to Rose Art Color Blanks was last Christmas, when I created an average looking snowman and a horrible looking reindeer. I didn't really follow the directions or spend as much time with that set as I should have.


I always thought that if the opportunity ever came about that I would put forth some actual effort and create something truly special. When I found this set of Halloween themed Color Blanks, I knew that my opportunity had finally arrived.


Here are my creations:


Click for Larger Image!
I thought it would be interesting to make the ghost look like Boo Berry. I gave it the ol' college try and I think if you squint your eyes and look at this photo sideways you can totally tell that this is Boo Berry.

I messed up with the eyebrows and tried to fix them by making them larger, but that didn't really help. And I couldn't think of any way to create a hat for him. If he had that yellow hat on, even with my poor artistic talent, I think most would get that its supposed to be Boo Berry.

Instead, I think he looks more like a distant relative of Boo Berry. Maybe a cousin from his mothers side. One that sells vacuum cleaners door to door. In retrospect perhaps I should have just went with one of my own creations instead of attempting to re-create Boo Berry, but you cannot fault me for at least trying.

Click for Larger Image!
I spent the most time creating my version of Frankenstein's Monster, though. I've mentioned a number of times that Frankenstein is my favorite of the classic Universal Studios horror monsters. So when given the chance to create one of my own, you can damn well bet that I was going to spend the proper time with him.

I didn't want to stray too far away from the classic Frankenstein look, I knew that he had to have green skin and the classic flat top haircut. I also wanted to make mine look as pissed off as possible.

The eyes that I choose were actually an extra set that came with the ghost figure, but I thought they went to much better usage here. As a matter of fact the bowtie that I used for my attempted Boo Berry actually came with the Frankenstein figure. It seems the best way to get what you really want is to mix and match the stickers from one set to another.

Click for Larger Image!
Overall I had a lot of fun making these guys, even though I was still plagued with a lot of the same issues I had the first time around. The markers, which by the way I purchased a set of twelve colored Sharpie's to get all the colors I wanted, simply refuse to dry.

And this is not me just being impatient, I painted Frankenstein's head and body and waited about eight hours to start on his arms... and still ended up smudging areas on his backside and turning the tips of my fingers brown and purple.

Boo Berry, almost a full 48 hours later... is still sort of tacky if you press hard enough. Its annoying that a set that relies so heavily on coloring specific areas takes this long to dry.

And they still have a couple areas that are impossible to color. Between the fingers of each figure will forever remain white, as well as the space between Frankenstein's feet. No matter how hard you try... you cannot fit the tip of the marker into all the little nooks and crannies.

With that said, I think it is safe to say that this is my favorite project that I've done so far for the 2012 Halloween Countdown. If you are like me and needed a quick boost of Halloween energy, head out to Target and pick up some of these Halloween Color Blanks and start creating!

7 comments:

  1. Nice post.
    Found your blog through the Countdown this year!

    Once again the Rose Art Halloween Color blanks have evaded me.
    Not on eBay, not in stores... can't... find... them.
    -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in responding, glad you liked the blog. I found these at Target in the back of the store with all of the 'traditional' Halloween decorations. Right next to the candy.

      Be sure to take a look at the Christmas section, they have some holiday themed Color Blanks currently for sale.

      Delete
  2. I take pleasure in, lеad to I found exactly what I was
    haѵing a lοok for. You have ended my
    four day lengthy hunt! God Bless уou man. Have a niсe daу.

    Βye
    Feel free to surf my web-site - how to stop snoring nhs

    ReplyDelete
  3. This paragraph іs really а gοod one
    іt аssists new the wеb vіeweгs,
    who are wishing іn favor of blogging.
    my site > loans for bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Нi to all, hοw iѕ all, I thіnk evеry onе is getting mοгe from this web pаgе, and your vіews are nіce in faѵor
    of new peoрle.

    my site ... bad credit loans

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pаrtneг and І stumbleԁ ovеr heгe from a ԁifferent web pаge аnԁ thоught I may as well check thіngs out.

    I lіke what Ӏ ѕeе so now i am following you.
    Loоk forward to exploring yоur ωeb page for a sеcond time.


    Fеel freе to visit my blog рost ::
    Engagement Rings

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete