Saturday, September 1, 2012

Halloween Mood Table!


Welcome everyone to the 2012 Halloween Countdown! It is officially time to kick off my annual two months of Halloween festivities and I can think of no better way to do it than with the Halloween Mood Table!

An idea that I originally got from Matt over on X-Entertainment, the Halloween Mood Table is your all purpose one stop shop that you set up someplace in your house and fill with everything Halloween related. Decorations, candy, books, music, movies, or any other sort of spooky odds and ends that you have at your disposal.

The goal here is not to create something particularly fancy, no the Halloween Mood Table is supposed to sort of look like an episode of 'Hoarders' that ate to much Halloween candy and upchucked  into a corner of your house. You are creating a single spot that SCREAMS Halloween and begs your undivided attention.

The point is to fill it with as much stuff as you can and then challenge yourself to see how much of it you can get accomplish by October 31st. If you put it on the table, you have to make an effort to utilize it. And that is the inherent fun of the Halloween Mood Table.

Halloween Decorations
Click for Larger Image!
This is my Halloween Mood Table for 2012, which technically is a wooden TV tray but it does the job exactly the way I want it to. Besides the smaller workspace just means that I have to maximize what I put onto it. It may look like a random pile of junk but I assure you there is a thought and a reason behind everything in this picture.

Highlights include:

-- VHS copy of 'Evil Town' .... just some random horror film that I own which I've never watched. I still like tracking down old horror moves on VHS, the crappy picture and sound quality often adds to the experience. Plus the tapes remind me of being a kid and walking into the local 'Mom & Pop' video store and renting dumb horror movies every Halloween

-- Ghoul Aid: Scary Blackberry .... I did a full review of this last year so I won't spend much time with it now, but Scary Blackberry returned to store shelves in 2011 after roughly an eleven year hiatus. The jury is still on as to whether or not it will make a second appearance for 2012, but in case it does not I am fully stocked up with packages from last year. At some point this season, I will be making a pitcher of Ghoul Aid.

-- Vintage Candle Holders .... While I don't plan on burning any actual candles on my Halloween Mood Table (it is enough of a fire hazard as is) I simply could not resist the temptation to stick a couple of my favorite vintage decorations on it.

-- DVD Screen & Movies .... The screen and the movies do not go together as much as you'd think. The point of putting DVD films on here is to pick out things that I want to sit down and watch at some point this season (Unborn, The Nest, Terror Within, The Majoreties, and Parasomnia) and I'll do that on my actual television set. This smaller DVD screen is for 'background noise' for when I am doing other things and want to have classic horror films just simply playing in the background. It is the perfect excuse to stick in a copy of 'Friday the 13th' or 'Halloween' even though I've already seen those films a couple hundred times each.

-- Mood Music & Books .... The DVD screen also doubles as a way to play different types of mood music. I have a copy of John Carpenters 'Halloween' score sitting out as well as some 'Twilight Zone' radio dramas that were released on CD a couple years ago. The book is a copy of 'The Amityville Horror' which I fully plan on revisiting this Halloween.

-- Candy ... The first candy dish will rotate different types of candy throughout the season. Currently it is filled with Candy Corn M&M's. Who knows what it will have next week. Halloween Oreo's also make a special appearance off to the side, I will be writing about those in a couple days so I won't spend to much time with them now. If you look close enough, there is even fall themed Jello just waiting to be made. It is important to have items on here that will make you visit your Mood Table daily and nothing will do that better than candy and Oreo's!

-- Miscellaneous Items ... The rest is lots of little things that have some kind of importance to me. You'll see an old Trash Bag Bunch toy from when I was a kid as well as Dracula Don There is an old 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' pencil and a rubber bendy witch toy that I've had since I was probably seven. Down towards the bottom of the display you'll see Jack Skellington, The Crypt Keeper, and Jason Voorhees (all of whom are animated and talk). It is all the little miscellaneous items and decorations that make your table unique and special to you, they are the most important part of the Halloween Mood Table.

Halloween Decorations
Click for Larger Image!
And this is just what the table looks like today. Those Halloween Oreo's are not going to last very long and typically when an item such as that is 'finished'  it gets replaced with something else. You can rotate items in and out all season long as you progress through them, this table is really the ultimate Halloween activity.

You really owe it to yourself to set up your own version of the Halloween Mood Table. It might seem like a silly idea but I will swear to you it works. Give it a try. Pick your items carefully and try to throw in a couple different activities. Things to cook. Things to do, read, or watch. Find a location that is out of the way but in an area visible within your daily routine. I guarantee setting it up will put a big smile on your face and when its all said and done... you'll agree it's the best way to start celebrating Halloween!

5 comments:

  1. Your table definitely sets the mood! I'm wondering about that Ghost Meter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Ghost Meter will show up a little bit later in this years countdown! =)

      Delete
  2. Do the candy corn M&M's taste like candy corn, or just look like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a full feature that I will be doing on those M&M's which will be posted here in the next few days. In the mean time I will say this much... they don't taste like Candy Corn and they don't taste like M&M's either.

      It is definitely one of the stranger things I've purchased in recent years.

      Delete
    2. Can't wait for the post, cause I have never seen them and am intrigued.

      Delete