Sunday, September 30, 2012

Halloween Fuzzy Friends

  
Warning: Pretty much every time I try one of these "decorate your own" kits the results are fairly disastrous. So with that in mind I present for your viewing pleasure... Fuzzy Friends!

Fuzzy Friends can be attained at your local Target shopping center for the price of an Abraham Lincoln denomination plus tax. You'll find them gently tucked away in the madness of the Halloween section, somehow shoved between the stack of severed heads and bottles of fake blood.

Click for Larger Image!

Clearly aimed at a much younger demographic, this kit allows us to create four unique Halloween inspired characters. A vampire, black cat, skeleton, and spider.  It is a nice little variety of creatures that your kids will no doubt enjoy creating.

Fuzzy Friends would be a great way to spend an afternoon with your kids and get them excited for Halloween. Yea, yea, yea... this is all fine and dandy but I don't have kids and I don't have an afternoon to spend making Fuzzy Friends out of pipe cleaners and pieces of colored foam.

I'm doing something different with my kit.

Click for Larger Image!
First I have to point out the instruction manual. Lord almighty. I've never been one to follow instructions that well and I do not intend on starting just because Fuzzy Friends suggests that I do. Like I suspected, this kit assumes the creator is going to follow those instructions to the dime and make exactly what is pictured on the front of the box.

I don't plan on doing that at all. What is the fun in creating what has already been made? It sort of defeats the entire point of arts and crafts if you are now allowed to wander away from the directions and create something unique.

Click for Larger Image!
There are two important things I want you to take away from this photo. One, it would take way longer than I want to spend on this kit to create all four of the suggested creatures.

Two, I will not be using roughly 80% of the included pieces. For some reason only a hand full of the pieces have the sticky adhesive stuff on the back side of them. The rest of them, you are supposed to cut your own sticky backing. Thus taking more time with Fuzzy Friends than I will be spending.

If you think I'm short changing this article for the sake of speeding through it, be prepared to eat your words. I've channeled the true spirit of The Great Pumpkin and created a unique being that is so much cooler than you could imagine

And I did it in far less time and with considerably less pieces. Behold:

Click for Larger Image!
His name is Bruce and he is by far one of my favorite things I have ever created for this website. He stands just a little over three inches tall, makes use of all four creature heads, and only about twelve of the foam pieces.

He's part Yeti, part demon, with an exposed rib cage, googly eyes, and an awesome haircut. Plus I think he could double for a voodoo doll if you were really pressed for time.

I wish I could say I had some grand design in mind when I brought Bruce to life, but honestly I just started sticking pieces together and this is what I came up with. Sometimes, I think its best not to over-think these things.

All kidding aside, Fuzzy Friends actually is worth the price of admission. I have no idea what the actual creatures would look like and really don't care. I still think the best use for this kit is to lay everything out in front of you and craft something different.

I might need to buy a second kit and make a friend for Bruce.

3 comments:

  1. Bruce looks great. I love his little glittery hands and his Saturday Night Fever pose! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those. I need more Halloween decorations here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. looking back, this was probably my favorite project of the entire 2012 Halloween season.

      Delete