Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Candy Corn Oreos


A little prerequisite is in order before we dive head first into the single greatest item of the 2012 Halloween season. I have to give a big thank you to one of my readers for sending me the item I am about to cover today. I was having difficulty locating this in my area and she was kind enough to not only send me a bag but tossed in a couple other awesome items that you'll all be seeing later on in the countdown. I cannot thank you enough, Karen!

And with those formalities out of the way I am proud to present to you... Candy Corn Oreos!

Halloween Oreos
Click for Larger Image!
I do have to admit that I am a tad late to the game with this review, but I assure you it is not for a lack of trying. I checked. Double checked. Triple checked. Preformed a few human sacrifices, blood of the innocent... that sort of thing. But no matter what I tried I just could not find these cookies in my local market.

One of the big downfalls of living in the state of Iowa is that we are viewed as a 'small market'. A lot of the really cool promotional items, we either don't get... or they show up about six weeks after the initial release date.

Which is another reason why I am extra thankful to have these suckers shipped directly to my house!

Halloween Oreos
Click for Larger Image!
Unless you have been living under some sort of proverbial rock, there is a really strong chance that you've heard of Candy Corn Oreos by now. For whatever reason these cookies have became a big deal.

When it comes to seasonally released or otherwise limited edition items they tend to come and go without much real fan fair. People like me tend to get worked up and excited about them but for everyone else... I always just assume they are a thing that exists for a short while and then sort of fade away without so much as a second thought.

Candy Corn Oreos have broke down whatever mental barrier typically exists in a normal human brain that tells a person 'these are just cookies' and literally shit pumpkin guts and vampire bats all over it. People have been freaking out over the existence of Oreos that taste like Candy Corn.

And rightfully so, because folks these are not just cookies. Candy Corn Oreos are a literal representation of the spirit of Halloween. Once that's been sliced, diced, and processed into cookie format. This is Halloween. And you can hold onto it in the palm of your hand.

Halloween Oreos
Click for Larger Image!
Everything about Candy Corn Oreos is an experience. Including otherwise mundane tasks like simply opening the bag, even that somehow turns into an adventure. You see Candy Corn Oreos have hands down the strongest 'new package' scent in the history of new package smells.

It is like this, imagine getting punched in the face by Mike Tyson... only his gloves are actually gigantic pieces of candy corn. And a huge chunk of those imaginary candy corn gloves broke off four inches into your nasal cavity. Every time you take a breath in you cannot help but smell candy corn.

That is exactly what opening up a package of Candy Corn Oreos is like. Every single time. I don't know how the fine folks at the Nabisco have done it but they somehow made these cookies smell more like candy corn than an actual opened bag of candy corn.

Halloween Oreos
Click for Larger Image!
For years now I've thought that it would be cool if some other snack food would attempt to step up to the plate and challenge Halloween Oreos longstanding reign as the unholy king of Halloween snack foods. 

It seems sort of ironic that the item which makes the strongest case for doing so is still an Oreo!

So how do Candy Corn Oreos stack up against the long standing, traditional Halloween Oreo favorite? Quite well, actually. We all know that Halloween Oreos are really no different than traditional Oreos, save for a change in frosting color and a spruced up Halloween package design. Candy Corn Oreos go for an entirely new flavor and completely knock it out of the ballpark!

Halloween Oreos
Click for Larger Image!
This frosting would make Harvey Dent proud. Has there ever been an Oreo cookie released with dual colored frosting before? I'm not sure if there has been. Yet another groundbreaking feature found in Candy Corn Oreos.

Which brings us to the final question and the one that will ultimately decide if Candy Corn Oreos deserve to be called The Best Halloween Item of 2012 or if all of this has been moot to the point. How do they taste?

Quite simply... they taste like candy corn. Which somehow seems sort of anti-climatic but I assure you that this is the best candy corn on the face of the planet.

I've had a few people ask me if they should give Candy Corn Oreos a shot even if they don't like traditional candy corn. And the answer is still a resounding yes. While it tastes like candy corn it is important to remember that this is still Oreos take on candy corn. They've gone majorly out of their way to make sure that it tastes as good as it possibly can.
 

I could spend another twelve paragraphs detailing how Candy Corn Oreos are the single greatest thing to happen to the month of Halloween in years but instead I will leave you with this bold prediction. Come Christmas time... Candy Cane Oreos will be a thing that actually exists. I really hope that comes true!

4 comments:

  1. O.k. this makes my mission even more important, I have been checking target since there Halloween display went up with no luck. I must keep trying, so I am not the only person left on the internet who has not tried them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great review. You might have just convinced me to try these. That whole thing about people who don't like candy corn should remember that these are actually Oreos hit home. I will go get myself a bag. And, you're absolutely welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2784/4155356123_92972cdccd.jpg

    Candy Cane oreos are a thing (or were at least)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaa!??? Well in that case Candy Corn Oreos had better be making a return this holiday season! Thanks for the info.

      Delete