Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Ultimate Christmas Vacation Boxed Set!

Click for Larger Image!
Christmas has a ton of classic holiday movies. My favorite holiday movie of all time is easily National Lampoons: Christmas Vacation. No matter how many times I see this film, I always laugh at all the appropriate times. Usually finding some new way to interpret a joke or delivery of a line. Besides, I can see Cousin Eddie say "shitters full" time and time again and it will still crack me up.

So when I seen a massive Christmas Vacation Blu-Ray boxed set, there was no way I could pass it up. And unlike most other boxed sets who promise lots of cool little trinkets and extras this one actually delivers on every front. For starters check out the metal tin that everything comes in. This is home to the sets four hundred included items and makes a great place to store everything when your not playing with it. On top of all of that, the tin manages to look really cool sitting out amongst the rest of your DVD collection. Usually these gigantic collectors editions are a double edged sword, they tend to look interesting but often times the allotted space needed for one far outweighs the contents of the box. As you will soon see, this is not the case here. The included items really are worthy of that much realastate and the metal tin is totally worthy of display in and upon itself. Now, just you guys wait and see what is lurking inside...

Click for Larger Image!


I bet you thought I was exaggerating with the amount of included items didn't you? Nope, I really wasn't. You get a lot of Christmas Vacation related stuff here. Things that you didn't even know you needed but once you own, never plan on giving up. Starting from left to right we have the Blu-Ray film, a set of coasters, a Santa Clause hat, mini moose mug, snow powder, a button, and the case that tin that houses everything. Holy shit and halleluiah. Let's take a look at everything one by one.

Click for Larger Image!
I am going to start with the Snow Powder first, which is clearly the most random item included in the box. Everything else ties into the movie or at least feature the movie on it, this Snow Powder is just here for the hell of it. But now that I own it, I am not sure how I lived all these years without it. Just look at it! Look at that ziplock baggie of white stuff. I want to try to take it through airport security just to see what would happen. The stuff looks fantastic in its powder form. But herein lays the problem, I have a thing for never using included items like these. When I purchase these big boxed sets I will refuse to use anything that is a one time, one use item. I simply cannot use this Snow Powder. Believe it or not I get more joy out of owning a completed Christmas Vacation boxed set than owning a Christmas Vacation boxed set sans the snow powder. Maybe we will cover normal fake snow at a later date?

Click for Larger Image!
Next up is this pin on button with the phrase "I survived a Griswold Family Christmas!" on it. This is my second favorite bonus item included in the set. I plan on wearing this all month long in December and especially to the family Christmas celebrations. I am positive that everyone who has seen Christmas Vacation says this, but my family is exactly like the ones in the film. Exactly. It seems like we go through most of the same issues brought up in the film every year and every year act just as surprised as before when they come up.

I believe that this is because secretly nobody really likes anyone else in there family. The only reason you put up with them is because they are family. If  you weren't related to these assholes, you'd want nothing to do with them! Especially around the holidays. I wrote that last sentence with Stan Lee's voice in my mind and if you read it back for a second time, only imagining Stan Lee saying it out loud I think you will get some extra enjoyment out of it. Anyhow, the button is fantastic and unlike the Snow Powder I am free to use this item. And use it I will!

Click for Larger Image!
Coasters a fairly random thing to include in this boxed set. I am guessing that the only reason they are here is because they are relatively cheap to manufacture. This set manages to pull it off by picking a bunch of iconic images and phrases from the film and stamping them on the top of said coasters. I really do like these and plan on setting them out for decoration. Of course I will immediately have to yell at anyone who even thinks of using them as actual coasters. These are not. They are for display only. I would be far to sad if someone was to spoil that wonderful image of Eddie with a gigantic, wet ring mark. This is my house and these are my coasters and these are my weird rules. If you ever visit, I hope you can figure out the difference between the actual coasters and the display coasters.


Ahhh the Mose Mug. Its only in the film for a brief couple of seconds but I think everyone remembers the damn thing. I know that I have always wanted to own one and when I was reading about the included items in this set my heart skipped a beat when I read that it was included. Instantly, I had flashes of full sized Mose Mugs that I could drink hot chocolate from. I probably should have known better. What is included is this mini replica Mose Mug that more closely resembles a decoration you would use on your tree than something you could drink out of. Well shit. I really wanted the full sized one. Because of that, this is my least favorite item of the group. I guess the search will have to continue for the full sized one.

Click for Larger Image!
It is not to often that I have to photograph myself for the website. Personally, try to stay behind the other side of the camera lens but every now and then there is just no way around it. I feel like I probably could have photographed the included Santa Clause hat just laying on the ground but it is just so much fun to wear I simply could not resist. I love this hat and I cannot wait to wear it to work all month long in December. And from this point forward anytime you are reading a new Christmas Countdown entry, just assume that I am wearing this hat. I am especially fond of the hats overall quality. I expected it to be cheap and not something that anyone would ever wear. Not only does it manage to fit over top of my head but it is pretty comfortable to boot.

So if you guys are looking for some great Holiday movies to add to your collection and you do not already own a copy of Christmas Vacation this boxed set is the way to go. Heck, even if you do already own a copy on DVD I would still say that it is worth your while to track this Blu-Ray set. Now... I am going to go see if I can find me some of that fake snow over on amazon.com ... I have a $10.00 gift card to use.

5 comments:

  1. We must be related.
    I need need, this set.
    Especially the over-sized buttons and the Wally-World Egg-Nog Moose Mug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a very cool set. A must have for anyone who is a fan of "Christmas Vacation" ... and I will track me down a full sized version of that Wally World Moose Mug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are full-sized versions available all over the internet. Some glass, some plastic, from around $15-95. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. magnificent issues altogether, you just won a brand new reader. What could you recommend about your submit that you just made a few days in the past? Any positive?
    My web site > last minute all inclusive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for another great post. Where else could anybody get that
    kind of info in such an ideal means of writing?
    I have a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such information.
    Also visit my homepage - last minute wintersport kerst

    ReplyDelete