Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kraft Macaroni & Chesse Halloween Shapes

Click for Larger Image!
 In case anyone was worried that we had ran out of creative ways to eat Halloween here in the later part of season, I go and pull out Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Halloween Shapes from some long forgotten corner of the grocery store. All most all the other seasonal Halloween products I have covered have had some sort of display that draws your attention to them. Count Chocula had a gigantic setup, Ghoul-Aid had a really sweet cardboard standee, there was even a separate section dedicated to all these Little Debbie snacks. This macaroni and cheese? It was left in the box it was shipped in and just sort of stacked up on the end of an isle. Nearing so close to Halloween and realizing that I've already covered dozens of other food related products, I almost passed on this one. And I actually did leave without buying it but upon a return visit I noticed that only one or two boxes had been sold. I felt sorry for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Halloween Shapes. Had these been properly displayed with all the other seasonal material, many more probably would have been gone. I had to purchase a box of this stuff and write about it. It suddenly became my civic duty to cover these Halloween Shapes and as it turns out... that was a pretty wise decision!

I am not really sure if Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Halloween Shapes are a "thing" that gets sold every year. Seems to me that they are or at the very least have been around for the past couple of seasons. Kraft has a slippery, cheesy slope to climb here. Some of the other food products I have wrote about are kind of a natural fit but Macaroni and Halloween are not not two things that easily relate to one another. But as you will soon see now that they are together the results are simply to die for.

Click for Larger Image!
Taking a look at the box for a minute, I really do have to give the design team that created it mad props. They've somehow thrown Halloween and Cheese into a blender and came out with this. Somehow, and despite the fact that it probably shouldn't, everything seems to work. Blue is not one of the primary Halloween colors but they have slightly altered the shade of Kraft Blue to make it a little bit darker and therefore fit with the season. It reminds me a bit of the way Halloween Oreo's are packaged. From there you will noticed the pumpkin, the vines, the bottom strip that reads "Halloween Shapes" ... all great inclusions but what I really want to talk about is the tag line. "Trick or Cheesy?"

I am not really sure what "Trick or Cheesy?" is supposed to mean, exactly. Or why they chose to end said statement with a question mark but... well, what the hell. Its awesome and Halloween Shapes are better off because of this strange wording. Everyone likes a good mystery to try and figure out on there own. Its why Quentin Tarantino chose to not show you what was in that briefcase in Pulp Fiction. Same logic applies to "Trick or Cheesy?" It's better off if we don't know what Kraft is trying to tell us. I'm assuming it is some sort of satanic message that if you say three times in front of a bathroom mirror while spinning in circles will resurrect some sort of long defunct cheese demigod. Or something.

Click for Larger Image!
 
The back of the box doesn't really have anything to note on it. An insane closeup of a pumpkin that would make John Carpenter proud is accompanied by the text "trick or treat yourself to all of our frightfully fun shapes!" The beginning half of this statement sort of sounds really dirty. I'm not sure how one goes about "tricking" or "treating" yourself but I sort of want to give it a shot. I bet it involves powdered cheese packages and whips. Lets move on.

Click for Larger Image!

Here are the macaroni shapes in there uncooked form. We have a pumpkin, ghost, and bat. All good choices and all great representations of the Halloween season. I think my favorite is the pumpkin, as it looks the most convincing of the bunch. The bat comes in a close second place with the ghost bringing up the rear. I really want to like that ghost but he simply has to many extra "pieces" floating around on his insides to make for a convincing Halloween shape.

Click for Larger Image!

The finished product should look something like this. As you can tell... I always have a problem with the cheese. Every single time I tell myself "don't add so much milk!" and every time I add to much milk and end up creating a milk/cheese hybrid that is neither a solid nor a liquid. In there cooked from these shapes really do not resemble there Halloween forms anymore. Of course once they are cooked, I feel like nobody really cares all that much what they are supposed to look like. Fun is over and its time to eat them.

All in all... I am glad I purchased these Halloween Shapes Macaroni & Cheese. Halloween is what you make of it and macaroni and cheese alone will not make for a fun season but it combined with everything else going on helps to create a fun atmosphere. Especially here in late October, where most stores are already starting to show signs of Santa Clause and Rudolph. Its nice to have products like this still out there just waiting to be bought. Still reminding us that despite everyone's best efforts it is still Halloween time, no matter how much they want us to believe Christmas has began.

3 comments:

  1. I have been searching everywhere for these!!! I'm trying to find them for a friend who is a diehard mac and cheese SHAPES ONLY fan. He's never had or heard of the Halloween variety so I want to get them for him. Trouble is... nowhere seems to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually just at the store were I purchased these and they are gone already. Probably in hibernation until next October. I am confident that they will return for 2012, though =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer. I'm on the hunt for as many different types of shapes I can find before Christmas to make a fun gag gift for a friend. I'm seeing price tags for "winter shapes" and "assorted sports shapes" with empty shelves so I'm hoping they'll be in soon!

    ReplyDelete