Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Star Wars Breakfast Cereal!

This next entry is going to be a quick break from the 2011 Halloween Countdown. I know, I know... I made a promise to keep everything between the months of September and October spooky or otherwise creepy but it is impossible to say no breakfast cereal that ties into Star Wars. Therefore the Halloween Countdown is on a momentary hiatus while we take a quick look at this limited edition set!

Click for Larger Image!
From the front we have three seemingly normal boxes of cereal. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Lucky Charms. Astute eyes might notice that the Lucky Charms and Cheerio boxes appear to be a little larger than normal and other than some coupons on the front of the box providing a $3 savings on the films Blu-Ray release there is nothing that really points to any of these as being something special. As a matter of fact if it was not for a gigantic display set up right in front of the DVD section at Wal-Mart I might have walked right past them and not given a second glace. Thankfully though, the out of place display caught my attention and upon closer inspection realized that it was the back of these boxes that is the stuff dreams are made of. Don't believe me? Then just take a look for yourself!

Click for Larger Image!
Flip these bad boys over and you are presented with the utmost glorious display of all things Star Wars! Pretty much every major character from all six films are accounted for here. Yoda and Darth Vader take up the most prominent positions on the boxes, each becoming the focal point for either the good side or the bad side of the Star Wars universe. I sort of wish that Yoda was the puppet Yoda instead of the CGI Yoda but since George Lucas would like us to forget anything related to the original theatrical cuts of the films, we get the modern version of Yoda. I guess it is really not that big of deal. It could have been worse, Jar Jar Binks could have taken up half of one side of the display. What we do have is a very nice limited edition display that just begs to be put on a shelf someplace. So lets take a quick look at some of the little finer details jammed into this art. These are my favorite parts of this limited edition Star Wars Breakfast Cereal!
Click for Larger Image!
Evil Anakin Skywalker makes a ghostly like appearance in the middle of the display. I like it because of how much real estate space has been dedicated to his ghostly mug. He takes up a good portion of the center of the display yet at a quick glance you might not even realize that he is there! I am probably going to take a brown beating in the comment section for saying this but part of the reason why I have always enjoyed Star Wars over Star Trek is because the former has always seemed much darker than the latter. Anakin's image is the prime example of just how dark Star Wars can. It is a shame they never really took that concept as far as they could have. Always sort of backing out at the last minute and switching to something more "kid friendly". I've always felt that was the reason for including 'Jar Jar Binks' it was almost as if George Lucas felt the need to remind everyone that Star Wars can be fun for the entire family! Screw that, embrace the dark side!

Click for Larger Image!
Speaking of dark things, Darth Maul's sinister looking grin makes a pretty valid case for how I could technically include this as part of the Halloween Countdown. I won't but just know that if I really wanted to I could spend the next twelve paragraphs doing so.What I like most is Maul's dirty rotten teeth in this photo. It's been a while since I seen Episode 1 but I do not remember his teeth being that disgusting in the film. If they are apparently I need to go back and watch it again. For some reason Darth Maul reminds me of that creature thing from the movie 'Insidious' ... or maybe its just because I've been doing so much Halloween related stuff recently? Either way I am glad that he got featured right next to Darth Vader on this display.

Click for Larger Image!
Harrison Ford is obviously included as Han Solo. It seems strange that I have to be reminded that Harrison Ford is apart of the Star Wars universe but somehow with all the hoopla surrounding the later films and the subsequent edits done by George Lucas on the original three I just sort of Forgot that Harrison Ford was in Star Wars. Now thanks to this cereal display, I can remember that Ford was in the films. At least for now. I'm sure Lucas is working on an edit where Harrison Ford is replaced with a CGI gopher. Until then we can all enjoy Han Solo's awesome 1970s flipped collar and unbuttoned shirt look. No matter how much tinkering George Lucas does to the original films, he will never be able to conquer the fashion styles of the 70s.

Click for Larger Image!

C3PO's bizarre facial expression is another fine point that should have extra emphasis placed upon it. We have all seen C3PO loads of times before but for some reason he looks extra goofy in this shot. All of the other characters on these boxes appear to have been cropped and edited out of actual shots from the films. And while I do not know Star Wars forwards and backwards like some, I am pretty sure that he never stood around looking like that much of a dipshit in any of the movies. The only conclusion I can draw is that it is from some leftover piece of promotional material from back in the day. Regardless of where it came from, I am very glad they included this specific shot of C3PO. For me it is the proverbial icing on the cake that pushes an otherwise awesome display into something that is primed for year round display! For that I would like to thank Star Wars Breakfast Cereal. And now we may return to our regularly scheduled Halloween Countdown!

2 comments:

  1. that is pretty damn awesome! i love star wars :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them quite a bit too! =) Though it is sort of a missed opportunity that they didn't decorate the front side of the boxes. The more I think about it the more the Cheerio's Bee probably should have been dressed as Darth Vader. Ohh well they still look really good on display!

    ReplyDelete