Saturday, August 27, 2011

Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash Returns for 2011!

How ironic. Within just a couple short days after I convert the website into its Halloween theme I stumbled upon one of the first signs of the coming Christmas season at the local gas station. Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash has once again returned to store shelves for 2011! It is a welcome return for sure but I cannot help but feel like it is just a little bit early for this little slice of holiday heaven to show its face. We will talk a little about the drinks history in the main article but Cranberry Splash has always been released during the final two months of the year, making it very much apart of Christmas lore. Seeing it out so early in the year helps to confirm my earlier suspensions that we are going to be seeing Christmas a whole lot sooner rather than later this year. I am not quite sure just exactly how I feel about that one, I guess I love it and hate it at the same time really. Either way Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash is back on store shelves and that is reason enough to be excited!


Click for Larger Image!
Introduction paragraphs suck. I for some reason am having a much harder time that I should writing this one. Which is strange because I look forward to the return of Cranberry Splash all year long. Honestly, I think it has to do with the fact that technically this is a Christmas entry and I just do not feel like writing about that season just yet. I am ready to dive head first into Halloween and Christmas just seems out of place here in August. I could prolong this entry until sometime in November but then it does not seem quite as fun as talking about Cranberry Splash as soon as it comes out. So with that, let's skip the opening and just jump right into the meat and potatoes of this article. Seasonal beverages are a fairly common occurrence within the drink industry. Some alcoholic beverages release products seasonally, Samuel Adams being the most prominent of the bunch. They run TV commercials talking about how the seasons have a rhythm to them and the need to release drinks accordingly. Most of your favorite soft drink companies operate under this same concept too. Just take a quick look at the Coca Cola company. While Coke is sold year round if I was to ask you to close your eyes and write down the first three or four things that come to mind when you think of Coca Cola I am sure Santa Clause, Polar Bears, and their awesome run of  Christmas commercials would pop up first. Coke has done such a fantastic job of associating itself with the winter months that it is almost hard to separate the two from one another. Proof of this is the fact that Pepsi has recently went out of there way to mock Coke's winter commercials and use of Santa Clause with a series of advertisements claiming that Pepsi is the "drink of the summer"

So lot's of beverages fall under this 'technically seasonal' category and Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash is one of them. But what separates Cranberry Splash apart from the rest is the fact that it is good. Really, really good. I look for the stuff literally every single time I go to the store, knowing full well that it is typically only sold in the last couple of months of the year. I love Cranberry Splash with a passion and with me being so firmly planted in the Halloween Season right now if this was anything else other than Cranberry Splash sticking its red and green themed package around before most stores even have a Halloween section set, I would be calling a Christmas foul on it. But just like when Pitch Black showed up earlier in the year and completely out of season, I am willing to let this one slide.


Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash first hit store shelves during the Holiday Season of 2006. It was an interesting soda debut because there was never a commercial on TV or a display in the store that outright said Cranberry Splash was a holiday drink but all you had to do was look at the package and you could tell it was a holiday drink. Anytime you release a soda in early to middle November that is all red with a green label and some very conveniently placed cranberry's that just so happen to resemble bulbs on a Christmas Tree... you don't have to label it a holiday drink. We can fill in the blanks for ourselves.

As it turns out, unlike some other seasonal beverages (Pepsi Holiday Spice) Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash was an excellent drink that could probably be sold year round. Part of the fun is knowing that you only have it for a short amount of time. The soft drink would return every single year after 2006 up until now and this is a trend that I do not see stopping anytime soon. While the package has changed slightly since its inception and it still does not technically call itself a holiday drink, I always view the return of Sierra Mist Cranberry Splash as one of the first signs that Christmas is almost here!

2 comments:

  1. Not in my stores in North Carolina ( love this soda)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They feel that men with smaller packages volition not in a continuous mode, are you with
    me? By increasing rake circulation you grant for and instinctive, with no upper limit male enhancement chemicals.
    This scheme came up from the setup pills, he would have the urge on for sex more
    much as compared to days deceased by.
    Visit my blog website

    ReplyDelete