Monday, May 3, 2010

Two Awesome Movies I've Seen

Hey guys, long time no chat. Sorry for the lack of updates. I have some really cool things in store for everyone. First and foremost I'm slowly but surely getting all my accounts linked together. For those of you interested in such things, I've got my Twitter account all up and running. You can follow me at GrindhouseCinem I usually only send out a couple a day, so you don't have to worry about me spamming your Twitter app. I've also got my Twitter linked directly to my blog, so if you don't want to set up an account you can still read what I've been posting.

I will also be doing a "How to keep in contact" YouTube video... with links to this blog and my Twitter account. Hopefully that will get traffic driven in the right direction. I also wanted to let you guys know that I'm going to be doing a video game Podcast here in the very near future 8) I'll tell you guys more in the coming weeks. Until then I wanted to share a couple excellent films that I recently picked up.

The first movie is an amazing film called Pi. From 1997, Pi was written (in part) and directed by Darren Aronofsky. "A brilliant mathematician teeters on the brink of insanity as he searches for an elusive numerical code in this critically acclaimed, sci-fi thriller!"

Pi is, for lack of a better term, like watching someone else go insane. There is a number of times that your quite frankly not sure what in the holy hell is going on. The main character, Max, is portrayed as an absolute genius with numbers, but also deals with a number of social disorders. Basically the general idea behind the film is that Max believes that everything in the known universe works in numerical patterns. Including the US Stock Market. Upon accident he discovers a 200+ digit code that was able to accurately predict a market fall. The film then takes a turn were he ends up meeting a group of religious Jewish fanatics who happen to be looking for the same 200+ digit code in the Jewish Bible.

It is a really hard movie to try to explain and I've done a really piss poor job at summarizing it. You're best bet is to go onto YouTube and track down the trailer. All that I have to say is that I highly recommend Pi to anybody whose looking for a smart, provocative film. This is not your average summer blockbuster. This is a mind-twisted psychological flick. Oh and there is a scene were I think Max takes a power drill to his head.

The Ugly differs greatly from the film I mentioned above. It is a far more conventional suspense driven psychological thriller. This one deals with a convicted serial killer, Simon Cartwright, whose been stuck in an institution. He meets up with a psychiatrist, Dr. Karen Schumaker, who wants to give a second opinion on Simon.

Yea, yea, yea... let's talk about what makes this film fucking awesome. Simon is a deeply disturbed individual, there is no doubt in that. But this is not Hanable Lector, he isn't eating people or cutting someones face off. You live Simon's life through a very cool series of flashbacks and see how he was picked on and abused not only by his peers, but by his own mother. When it finally gets to the point were he's had enough and he picks up the knife... the scariest part of the film happens. You actually understand and feel for Simon. It's a powerful experience to say the least. Really makes you question what you would do if you were put in his shoes.

There is also this awesome sub-plot of demons that haunt Simon (he calls them The Ugly). He claims that they provoke him to do the killings. In my favorite scene he breaks down saying how The Ugly pester him and force him to kill "each time making it harder and harder not to". We're never quite sure if The Ugly actually exist of it they are just a creation of Simon's own demented mind. I have my own opinion but I don't want to share it with you. Watch the movie and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete